Wednesday, January 30, 2013
Since I'm on a roll this week, I might as well try to get back into a few good habits. Midweek Confessions, inspired by our real friend Elizabeth over at E, Myself, and I is always fun to participate in.
No need to waste any time.
1. I've embraced two of the three Pinterest secret boards you're allotted. I won't share what they are (it's a secret) but I'm sure you can guess one of them.
2. I spent too much money on a quart of "powder paint" for the dresser in our bedroom. This locally made, organic paint is supposed to compete with Annie Sloan's chalk paint and is cheaper (if you can believe it). Let's hope its as good as everyone claims.
3. I'm going to be in two weddings this year and I'd sort of forgotten how expensive being a bridesmaid can be. I love both of the brides, so no worries there, but I'm not sure Jake and I will make it to Napa for our anniversary after all and I'm bummed.
4. Making over our bedroom has become an obsession. We'd never invested any money into our room until recently when we bought a king size bed, and now it's on. Since our headboard and footboard no longer fit and my love for our furniture is starting to wane it's set a ball in motion that neither of us can stop. Hopefully the paint, curtains, new duvet, refinished dresser, and possible upholstered headboard (fingers crossed!) will do the trick.
5. I've made hot chocolate (with more marshmallows than a five year old would request) every day for the past week.
6. I'm finally back on the Weight Watchers train but am not having as much immediate success. The first week I lost 2 1/2 pounds and gained 0.1 and 0.7 the weeks following. I'm sure the cupcakes and chocolate chip cookies last week didn't help my cause. I need to lose 10 pounds by the time we travel to Cancun in March.
7. I have had no desire to do laundry lately. The result has been me going through the dirty clothes recycling my dress socks.
8. The most recent movie I watched was Judge Dread, and I liked it.
Monday, January 28, 2013
Before Jake left for Haiti I decided that I was going to use those two weeks while he was gone to be super productive... in a tangible way. I set the following goals:
- Replace the broken blinds in one window with 2" faux wooden blinds for all three windows in our living room. I know the math seems off- one set of blinds was broken and three ended up being replaced- but I couldn't bring myself to replace the basic blinds with more basic blinds. When we moved in I wanted to get plantation style blinds and this was my window of opportunity (pun intended).
- Deep clean the house (including Jake's bathroom).
- Makeover the master bedroom.
And here's what I accomplished:
- I purchased new blinds from Home Depot and recruited my brother-in-law, Will to install them.
- The house was professionally cleaned, but not by me (although I was able to keep it that way for a week until Jake got home).
- I painted our bedroom (Palladian Blue by Benjamin Moore) and
Will helped meI helped Will hang curtain rods.
- Ordered a new duvet from Kohl's and then one from Pottery Barn, both of which did not end up working out. Ugh. I'm currently waiting for this one to arrive to test in person.
- Picked out and ordered linen fabric and blackout lining for custom curtains. It sounds crazy, but I really love the Pottery Barn blackout linen curtains at 96" but can't afford four panels at $119/panel. Who can? I mean seriously.
- Purchased a fan for our bedroom and requested estimates for installing it. However, based on the quotes I got and the fact that we don't know anyone personally who can install it, it will just have to wait. Hopefully we'll find the time (and money) before it gets warmer.
Before and after shot of our living room window.