Despite the house being 100% move in ready, it's impossible for me to live in a place I haven't gotten to add my personal touch to. While our house was picture perfect before we moved in, there were still some things I wanted to add/change to make it feel more like ours and show a bit more of my personality and style. Jake thinks I will find any excuse to spend money and go to Home Goods, but that's simply not true, I genuinely take pride in my living space and just have to personalize it. If you think about it, there isn't a single place I've lived other than my dorm rooms that I didn't paint a wall and purchase space-specific decor and furniture for... it's my nature.
A few things on my list to be addressed immediately were:
1. the mailbox
2. the kitchen (long story and I'm sure you'll disagree)
3. wall color
4. living room
5. gallery wall
6. hallway bathroom
7. front door
8. porch lights
9. paint the window shutters
Surprisingly, I've made a lot of progress but somehow my list hasn't gotten any shorter; for every item I check off, I add two more projects/spaces. My list currently looks more like this:
2. the kitchen (long story and I'm sure you'll disagree) This is going to stay on here awhile... turns out the tile is going to be much more difficult to remove than I originally thought and since Jake doesn't want to change the kitchen, it looks like I'm on my own.
4. living room This isn't done, but progress has been made. We replaced a bookshelf I bought my junior year of college (it was under $20 and originally intended for a bathroom) with a tall white cabinet I received as a birthday present and I'm a fan. I also steam cleaned our couches (although you can barely tell), we added linen curtains, and slowly started hanging artwork.
6. hallway bathroom I'm almost there... I bought a new shower curtain, rug, and hand towels to start and painted the walls Turquoise Mist last night. All I have left is cabinet hardware and hanging something on the wall(s).
8. porch lights Not even close to deciding.
9. paint the window shutters All I have to do is paint them black from brown, but it hasn't fell high on the list of priorities.
10. NEW find art to fit new our walls and hang what we already own sort of started
11. NEW Master bedroom, including getting a king size bed and a ceiling fan I'm not sure if the desire for a bigger bed is actually new (it's been a reoccurring topic) but the focus on decorating the master bedroom in any way definitely is!
12. NEW window treatments throughout the house
13. NEW area rug for living room
14. NEW dining room table
15. NEW buffet/sideboard for dining room I'd love to refinish an older piece but haven't found what I'm looking for yet.
It's coming along (by my standards) slowly but surely!