Sunday, September 15, 2013

Wine Review: The Good, the Great, and the Gross

Let me start off by saying that I am not a wine connoisseur but I do drink it often enough to start comparing.  If this sounds like your level of expertise too then I think you'll appreciate the following three reviews.

The Good: Cloud Break
Type: Chardonnay
Region: California
Cost: $9.99 at Total Wine
The Story: I tried this wine at an "Over and Under" wine tasting and it was hands down my favorite white overall and was well liked by everyone at the table.  My notes from the event were that it was light and refreshing- a great summer wine and perfect to bring to a dinner with friends, as it was sure to be a crowd pleaser.  I've definitely been craving it since that tasting too, so that says something.
#Summary: #yesplease

The Great: Evolution 
Type: Nine Grape White Blend
Region: Oregon
Cost: $14.99 at Total Wine, $17.99 Target (not always in stock)
The Story: I first tried this wine a few years ago during a date night with Jake.  We hit up a little wine bar in Norfolk that we heard offered an open bottle night tasting.  The rumors were true and the tasting description was spot on- you picked white or red and for $10 could try ever open bottle in that category. Awesome... I know.  If you really liked something, all you had to do was ask for another glass and you got one.  Even more awesome. Evolution, was my absolute favorite out of everything we tried.  It is not too sweet, a little crisp, fruity, and refreshing.  I was surprised to see it at $15 bottle because when I've gone to buy it in the past it's been more, which is why I've mainly received it as a gift from friends and only picked it up for special occasions.
#Summary: #haventfoundawhitetotopityet


The Gross: Firecracker
Type: Red Blend
Region: California
Cost: $9.99 at Target
The Story: I recently picked this up from Target because it was on sale, the label was fun, and we had seriously depleted our wine supply somehow.  My girlfriend came over after work and we decided to try it out.  Note, if you don't care for the smell of maple syrup you will hate this wine.  I didn't think I was opposed to it, but theres something about catching the scent of it with each sip that was simply too much for me.  It was gross.  It's only redeeming quality was that it was better when paired with food- my friend and Jake actually enjoyed it.  However, it offers no absolutely no appeal apart from it and isn't something I'll purchase again.
#Summary: #neveragain


Have you tried any of these wines before?  I'd love to know if you did and whether or not you agree with my review.  If you haven't, I'd love to hear what you have tasted recently and what you did or didn't like about it.  At the very least, your tips may prevent another firecracker experience. #wecanonlyhope


1 comment:

  1. You really can't go wrong with an Oregon or Washington state pinor noir or cab sav (ex. http://www.totalwine.com/eng/product/radius-cabernet/109682750 or http://www.columbiacrest.com/our-wines/2010-h3-cabernet-sauvignon)But keep it real with an AMAZING VA wine (http://www.wine.com/v6/Barboursville-Monticello-Reserve-Cabernet-Sauvignon-1998/wine/25100/detail.aspx?state=VA)

    Still, I'm surprised to hear how much you like this one-- I haven't had it, but I'll have to pick up a bottle of Evolution next weekend.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...