Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Dumpster Dive

Ok, so I didn’t have to dive into any dumpsters, but I did dash from the end of a stranger’s driveway back to my car with an end table this weekend.

Long story short, I’ve always wanted to refurbish a piece of furniture and decided that it might be something I’d need to acquire at an antique store or garage sale versus stumbling upon, but this weekend I got lucky and I did just that. 

I was driving around a few neighborhoods looking for some for rent signs on townhomes when I saw a little end table/nightstand at the end of a driveway.  I assume when people place items there they mean to get rid of them, but this wasn't the area where the trash cans stood to be collected so I wasn’t 100% sure.  I went up the driveway, knocked on the door, and asked the woman if she wanted to get rid of it… only to find out it was her neighbor’s not hers.  So, I went next door and knocked and no one came to the door (they were definitely home because the storm door was closed but the main door was not).  I knocked once more before walking backwards to the end of the driveway.  I grabbed the piece and literally ran to my car parked a few driveways over.  I’m still not sure why I felt the need to run, but it made the whole experience that much more exciting. 

Jake called right as I was driving away and I couldn’t help but practically scream in excitement what had just happened!  He of course encouraged me for being spontaneous and a risk-taker and asked that I not take months and months to reinvent the piece, which was a totally reasonable request.

So, here she is in all her current glory.  


I already peeled off some stickers and am very clear that she still needs a lot of work.  My first thoughts are that she’ll need to be sanded, painted a fun color (although, black or white  isn't completely out of the question), and receive some new knobs.  I’m leaning towards traditional glass or round black knobs if I paint it a quirky color, but if I go white or black I want to do some unique artsy knobs like these.


No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...