Sunday, August 14, 2011

The Help

Yet again I've finished reading a novel WELL after the rest of the world has.  I like to use the excuse that before the Twilight series I was hardly reading so I have a lot of catching up to do, but the truth is I could have skipped older bestsellers and went straight for this summer's top reads...

Spoiler Alert: Just to warn you, I'm going to talk about the book with the assumption that you've read it; if that's not the case proceed with caution.


The Help was awesome, I read the majority of it in two days- I just couldn't put it down.  I didn't realize beforehand that the voices would rotate between three characters, but I really enjoyed that it did.  Their personalities were so distinct, as were their intentions behind writing the book and what the road had looked like leading up to that point for them.  

Skeeter and Minny were my favorites of the three and I don't even know if I could pick one over the other- they were so different.  I loved Skeeter's mother, her love for Constantine, and reading about her relationship with Stuart. (Confession: I do wish things had worked out for them.  I mean I know that it wouldn't have been fair for her to hide who she was just to be with him, but for what ever reason I really liked him for her after he apologized for their first date... you know the story)

Minny, well Minny's sassy, outspoken personality had me chuckling a few times.  I loved her relationship with Miss Celia... and subsequently Mr. Johnny too.  Oh, and not to mention the dynamic of her working for Miss Hilly's mother and how that all ended.  Too much.

I thought the ending seemed too quick; you spend so much time getting ready for the book release and then within like three chapters its published, read, gossiped about, and the end. We weren't left with any cliff hangers, I just always feel this way at the end of a book and movie.  Personally, I need more specific details about how things end for people in the long term. Like where did Skeeter take her caeer once in New York?  Did Minny have twins and how in love with them would Miss Celia be, if at all?  And what exactly did Aibileen do next?  This must be why I like sequels so much.  It's all making sense to me now.

I don't want to end with that if you haven't read The Help you should, because I'm hoping if you read the above you already have.



No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...